What have we done already?
The Canterbury History Foundation has:
- Established the Canterbury Community Historian Award
- Supported the on-line Christchurch history database (see University of Canterbury’s website)
- Made grants to local historians for pre-publication expenses
- Presented the A C Rhodes Memorial Medal for exceptional service in promoting history in the community
- Enlarged a scholarship fund to assist post-graduate study overseas
- Hosted the annual free Jim Gardner Lectures which honour this noted local historian
- Held public lectures to mark historic events
- Financed a CD-ROM to supply archived illustrations for school history projects
- Provided prize money for secondary school history competitions
- Supported oral history through the Origins of New Zealand English project
- Organised social events as an enjoyable way to bring together members and others interested in history
What would we like to do?
With sufficient financial support, the Canterbury Historical Foundation could:
- Create a capital fund to maintain the Canterbury Community Historian grant
- Enlarge a capital reserve to generate enough income each year to provide Post-graduate Travel Awards for University of Canterbury PhD thesis students needing to travel outside New Zealand for research: any such grants are on the recommendation of the School of History
- Fund research and editing assistance for amateur historians
- Raise a capital fund to assist publication
- Help libraries and museums to improve their collections of historical material
You can help by becoming a member yourself, by encouraging others to become members, and by donations – subscriptions and donations are tax-deductible.
Why does history matter?
History matters because history
- Improves understanding of other societies and cultures
- Fosters intellectual skills needed by a modern economy and society
- Improves our understanding of who we are
- Makes more sense of the present by placing it in the context of the past
- Strengthens community and regional identity
- Raises appreciation of our heritage